A delicious pesto made with the incredibly nutritious Hemp Seed. For a boost of nutrition, this recipe is a great option. Pair with gluten free legume pasta for a quick and easy week night meal. Keep refrigerated to serve on crackers, pizza's, sandwiches and so much more.
Hemp Seed Basil Pesto [Vegan]
Hemp Seed Pesto
- 3 Cups Fresh Basil - Cleaned and rinsed
- 1/2 Cup Raw Cashew Nuts
- 1/2 Cup Organic Hemp Seeds
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 tablespoon Nutritional Yeast - Optional - for a cheesy flavour
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Celtic Sea Salt
- 3 tablespoons Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Chickpea Pasta - cooked, drained and rinsed
- 2 Cups Baby Spinach - Sautéed with the mushrooms
- 2 Cups Mushrooms - Chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Hemp Seed Pesto
Clean and prep the ingredients.
Place all ingredients into a Nutribullet, blender or food processor. I like to add the hemp seeds, nuts and heavier ingredients before the basil leaves as the weight of the other ingredients helps to bring the leaves down to the blades when blending.
Blend until desired consistency - shorter for a chunkier texture and longer for a smoother texture. You may need to stop a few times and scrape down the sides to ensure even blending.
Store in an airtight glass container in the fridge for up to 8 days
Pasta and Sautéed Vegetables
Cook your choice of pasta until al dente. Remove, drain and rinse. Set aside in a mixing bowl. Add a few tablespoons of hemp seed pesto and stir. Add enough so that each piece of pasta is evenly coated.
In a medium pan bring 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil to a medium temperature. Add the mushrooms and cook for about 3-4 minutes. Remove mushrooms and set aside. Add the baby spinach, turn down the heat and allow to wilt. Once wilted set aside.
Assemble the Hemp Seed Pesto Pasta and sautéed mushrooms with baby spinach, serve and enjoy.