Fluffy, moist, and studded with sweet, tart rhubarb chunks. Topped with an oat streusal to add the perfect crunch!
Healthy Rhubarb Muffins [Vegan]
- 1 cup medjool dates, pitted and soaked
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup unbleached, all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon each: ground ginger & cardamom
- 1 1/2 cup rhubarb, diced
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with muffin liners.
In a blender, blend dates and maple syrup until it forms a smooth paste. Transfer to a small bowl. Mix in coconut oil, vanilla, and milk until combined.
In a larger bowl, combine flours, baking powder and soda, salt, and spices. Pour in wet mixture and combine with a wooden spoon. Fold in diced rhubarb. Batter may seem thick, but don't worry. In a small bowl, combine all struesel ingredients.
Scoop in 1/4 cup butter into each muffin liner. Sprinkle over 1 tablespoon of struesel mixture. (Optional): sprinkle over a bit of cane sugar. Bake for 20 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean and muffin is golden brown