A healthy take on the classic caramel apples. These apple slices are made with date caramel for a sugar-free treat that's high in fiber and nutrients. Add some peanut butter for protein and flavor, then top with other desired toppings, such as chopped almonds, chocolate, unsweetened shredded coconut or cocoa nibs. The best part? They're a lot easier to eat than whole caramel apples!
Healthy Caramel Peanut Butter Apple Slices [Vegan]
- 2 apples, sliced
- 8 tablespoons date caramel, (recipe below)
- 8 teaspoons peanut butter
- Unsweetened or Dark chocolate
- Almonds, chopped
- Line a baking sheet with wax or parchment paper.
- Start by slicing the apples. You should be able to make 2 slices on 2 opposing sides of the apple (4 slices total per apple). Make sure the slices are thick enough to insert a Popsicle stick. Insert a Popsicle stick in each slice and line them on the prepared sheet.
- Spread approximately 1 tablespoon of date caramel on each apple slices, more or less depending on the size of the slice.
- Then, spread 1 teaspoon of peanut butter on each slice.
- Top with a drizzle of melted chocolate, chopped almonds or other desired toppings. Press the toppings into the caramel/peanut butter, making sure they stick. Place the apples in the refrigerator until the chocolate has hardened and the caramel has set, approximately 20 minutes.