Baking doughnuts is so much healthier then the typical method, although they taste just as good! Made from just 10 easy ingredients they are ready in only 15 minutes. Naturally gluten free and vegan. Surprise, these doughnuts have beets!
Healthy Beet Red Velvet Baked Doughnuts [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Doughnuts:
- 1 and 1/4 cups buckwheat flour
- 3/4 cup granulated coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 chia egg
- 2/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 cup steamed beets blended
For the Cashew Cream Frosting:
- 3/4 cup raw cashews soaked overnight in warm water
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk (or any milk)
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly spray doughnut pan with cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, stir together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg with whisk.
- Add the beets to a blender and blend.
- In a separate bowl beat chia egg, oil, milk, maple syrup, blended beets and with whisk.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients; fold until just combined.
- Transfer mixture to the doughnut pan filling about half full.
- Bake on centre oven rack 10 to 12 minutes or until doughnuts are golden around edges and spring back when touched.
- Remove from oven, repeat with remaining batter.
Cashew Cream Frosting:
- Add all ingredients to food processor and pulse until completely creamy.
- Layer on top of the red velvet.