Vegetable pakoras are on of the best appetizers at Indian restaurants. Traditionally made with garbanzo bean flour batter and vegetables like peas, cauliflower, potato and onion, then deep fried in oil, pakoras aren't the healthiest food. Todays mission was to turn this delightful appetizer into healthy, vegan friendly version you can feel good about sharing with your family and friends. These vegan pakoras are not only healthy, but also Gluten-Free . A perfect food rich in plant-based protein (chickpeas) and veggies. Just combine all of the ingredients and bake them! So easy and delicious. You have to try these vegan pakoras!
Healthy Baked Pakoras [Vegan]
- 1.5 cups besan (chickpea or “gram” flour, found at Indian or health food stores)
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cups spinach leaves, chopped
- 2 cups cauliflower,chopped
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients (flour, spices, herbs). Stir in enough water to make a batter. Do it a bit at a time, making sure that is it about the consistency of pancake batter. Ours was a little too thin, but didn’t affect the overall outcome.
- In a separate bowl, combine all veggies, and mix well with your hands. Pour the batter into the veggies, stir.
- Use a spoon to ladle little bundles of battered veggies onto an lightly oiled cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes, then flip and bake for 10 more minutes until toasty around the edges. This batch made about 20 pakora for us, but the final quantity really just depends on the size you make each one.