Don't let Halloween go by without making a batch of these adorable pumpkin cookies! They're soft, chewy, and totally fun to eat. Plus, you can even make an extra chocolate treat with the leftover chocolate you need to decorate!
Halloween Pumpkin Cookies [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Halloween Pumpkin Cookies [Vegan]
For the Dough:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/2 cup pumpkin, cut into cubes
- 45 raw pumpkin seeds
For the Chocolate:
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A pinch of sea salt
How to Prepare Halloween Pumpkin Cookies [Vegan]
To Make the Cookies:
To Make the Chocolate:
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Steam 1/2 cup's worth of pumpkin cubes. Set aside to cool.
- Stir 1/2 cup of all purpose flour, 1/2 cup of spelt flour and 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder together in a bowl.
- Put the steamed pumpkin, the 4 tablespoons of vegan butter as well as the 1/2 cup of coconut sugar in another bowl. Mash the pumpkin with a fork (or use a hand blender) and stir everything together until smooth and well mixed.
- Add the wet to the dry ingredients, mix with a wooden spoon until you get a soft and consistent dough. It will be sticky, but that's fine. If it's too sticky feel free to add a bit of extra flour. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with a Silpat mat (or parchment paper). Make little balls of dough, as round as you can make them, and flatten each one gently. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Decorate each cookie with three pumpkin seeds, sticking them at the top (pointy end in).
- Mix 1/4 cup of coconut oil, 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, and a pinch of salt together in a glass bowl. Put a bit of water to boil in a pot (large enough to fit your bowl, or to have it hanging overtop). Lower the heat to a simmer, add the glass bowl with the chocolate into the pot, stir with a spoon until the chocolate is smooth and runny. Remove from heat.
- Take a toothpick and dip into the chocolate, draw pumpkin faces on your cookies and serve as is!
To Make the Chocolate:
- As for the rest of your chocolate mixture, pour it in a chocolate mold or shallow container and put it in the freezer. It will become solid and you'll have delicious homemade chocolate on the side for later times! Once it's solid, pop it out of the mold and put it in a closed container. Keep it in the freezer until you're ready to eat it!
If you want a really orange cookie, use a white sugar.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.