Chimichurri sauce, an Argentinian condiment, is simply a mixture of parsley, cilantro, vinegar, and garlic. Often times, however, the sauce comes complete with about a cup of olive oil. I’ve lightened up the sauce and made it a snap to make. This sauce is served over grilled vegetables and tofu, but since the couscous also contains beans, you can easily make this soy-free by grilling more vegetables instead of the tofu. The sauce is to die for, so it hopefully makes enough to serve 4!
Grilled Tofu and Squash With Chimichurri Sauce and Couscous [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 fresno or 1 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 1/4 cup water, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (zest the lime before juicing)
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup Israeli couscous
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/4 cup toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 15.5-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 to 16-ounce) extra firm tofu, pressed
- 2 summer squash
- 3 spring onions or 4 scallions
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the oregano and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Combine the parsley, cilantro, chili peppers, garlic, vinegar, 2 tablespoons water, lime juice and olive oil with oregano in the bowl of a food processor. Season with salt and pepper. Process until well minced. Set aside.
- Heat the 1 ¼ cups water to boil in a medium saucepan. Add the couscous, reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and cook the couscous until tender and all the water is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork, add the remaining teaspoon of olive oil, the pepitas, spinach and beans. Cover the pot and continue to cook over medium heat until the spinach wilts, about 3 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Cut the tofu into 1 X ½ -inch cubes. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and cut each half into ½-inch half-rounds. Cut the onions into 1-inch pieces. Using 4-inch skewers, thread the squash onto skewers. Skewer the tofu, alternating with scallions, on separate skewers.
- Heat a grill pan over medium heat. Spray one side of the skewered veg and tofu and grill until cooked, about 3 minutes per side. Season with salt and baste with sauce. Serve the couscous with the grilled veg, tofu and the chimichurri sauce.