The texture of this naan is slightly chewy and light, and is perfect sided with any Indian dish!
Grilled Fresh Mint Naan [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon rapid rise yeast
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour (atta)
- 11/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon carom seeds (optional)
- 3/4 cup finely chopped mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Place the coconut milk and the sugar in a bowl and gently heat until lukewarm (I do this for about 15 seconds in the microwave), stir well and add in the yeast and set aside to rise. In about 10 minutes the mixture should be very frothy.
- In a large mixing bowl mix the flours and add in the salt and carom seeds (if using) and mix in the chopped mint leaves and olive oil.
- Make a well in the center and add in the yeast mixture, adding in just enough water to make a smooth (not very wet dough).
- Set this aside to rise for an hour and a half. Punch this down and let it rise for another 30 to 45 minutes.
- Break the dough into 6 lemon sized balls and roll these into thin oval shapes.
- Start the grill and let it heat for about 5 minutes. Place the naan breads carefully on the grill and cover and let it cook for 4 minutes, turn and brush the cooked side with olive oil. After 4 minutes the naan should begin to puff slightly.
- Oil the second side and turn, at this point the first side should be slightly crisp and golden. Remove from the grill and serve warm. This tastes great with any dish, but is also great with your favorite summer salad.