This sauce is a bestseller and all around crowd pleaser! The tartness of green apple combined with the heat of jalapeño makes for a versatile sauce that adds a big punch of flavor to whatever you decide to pour it over. After trying it, you will be tempted to put it on everything. And hey, we're not going to stop you.
Green Apple and Jalapeño Sauce [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 2 pounds and 3 ounces jalapeños (1 pound 2 ounces left whole; 1 pound 2 ounces seeds removed)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups freshly squeezed granny smith apple juice
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- Process the jalapeños in a food processor or blender until finely chopped.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, cumin, and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally until soft. Add the puréed peppers and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the vinegar, apple juice, lime juice, sugars, and 2 cups cold water. Stir to combine. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool to room temperature. Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender, add the coriander and blend until very smooth.
- Pour into containers or jars and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Recipes excerpted with permission from Smith & Daughters: A Cookbook (that happens to be vegan) by Shannon Martinez and Mo Wyse, published by Hardie Grant Books March 2017, RRP $35.00 hardcover. Smith & Daughters is an award-winning vegan restaurant in Melbourne, Australia, twice voted Time Out People’s Choice Restaurant of the Year (2016 and 2014). https://www.amazon.com/Smith-Daughters-Cookbook-Happens-Vegan/dp/1743792077/?tag=onegrepla-20