The salty flavor and strong bite of the classic Italian blue cheese is captured beautifully in this superb tofu-based cheese. You’ll love the pungent, tangy flavor of this vegan variety. Impress your guests by serving this beauty as part of a cheese plate with fruit and crackers or crumbled on top of a pear and arugula salad.
Gorgonzola [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 7 ounces extra-firm tofu
- 1/4 cup refined coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon spirulina
- Drain and press the tofu to release its liquid. Place all the ingredients, except the spirulina, in a blender, and process until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl, dot the cheese with the spirulina, and fold it over a few times to create the blue-green veins.
- Place the cheese mixture in a container lined with plastic wrap and pack it with a spatula, smoothing the surface. Cover and refrigerate for 6 to 8 hours to firm and set.
- Wrap the cheese in plastic wrap. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator. Will keep, refrigerated, for 1 to 2 weeks. The flavor will continue to develop as it ages.