The quesadilla is one of those Mexican staple dishes that is just impossible not to like. From the gooey filling to the perfectly crisp tortilla, all of the senses go into overdrive at first bite. Of course, the quesadilla itself is just part of the equation. If your budget permits, a healthy serving of pico de gallo and homemade guacamole sends this plant-based recipe off the charts.
Gooey Mushroom Quesadillas [Vegan]
- 8 oz extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons tapioca flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups Baby Bella mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 whole wheat tortillas
- Pico de gallo, for serving, optional
- Guacamole, for serving, optional
To Make the Cheese:
- press the tofu with several layers of paper towel to remove as much water as possible.
- Break the tofu into a few small pieces and add them to the bowl of a food processor, followed by the water, tapioca flour, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, garlic powder, and salt. Blend until completely smooth.
- Spray a medium skillet with cooking spray. Sauté the mushrooms until softened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Transfer the cheese mixture to a small saucepan and stir constantly over low heat. The cheese will begin to clump and eventually become gooey. Add the red pepper flakes and continue stirring for another minute or so. Add the sautéed mushrooms to the cheese mixture and stir to evenly combine. Remove from heat.
To Assemble and Cook the Quesadillas:
- Lay the tortillas flat and spread one half with a quarter of the cheese mixture. Fold the tortillas in half and press lightly to seal.
- Wipe the skillet you used to cook the mushrooms with a paper towel and re-coat with cooking spray. Return the skillet to medium heat and cook the quesadillas until lightly brown and crispy, about 2 minutes on each side. Repeat with the remaining three tortillas.
Book design by Page Street Publishing Co. Photography by Allie Lehman Cover design by Mette Hornung Rankin https://www.amazon.com/Frugal-Vegan-Affordable-Delicious-Cooking/dp/1624143776/?tag=onegrepla-20