Making your own alternative milk at home is easy and really rewarding! For this recipe, I used golden flax seeds because they are thought to have a milder flavor, but brown would work just fine too. The dates and vanilla add sweetness to the recipe that I would not recommend skipping. Cinnamon is completely optional, the flax milk tastes great without it, but if you’re a big fan of cinnamon for its extra nutrients and flavor, go ahead and give it a try.
Homemade Golden Flax Seed Milk [Vegan]
- 6 cups filtered water
- 1/4 cup golden flax seeds
- 4 dates, pitted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional – if you like the flavor of cinnamon in your drinks)
- Add water and flax seeds to a high-speed blender. Blend on high for 1 minute.
- Strain flax milk through a nut milk bag into a bowl, or through a colander lined with cheesecloth folded over a couple of times. It is helpful to use tongs or your hands to squeeze and coax the flax milk through the bag. (*Tip – If the bag becomes overly clogged and is not straining, simply pour the remaining flax milk back into the blender, rinse nut milk bag off to essentially unclog it, and poor the remaining milk through the bag again.)
- Rinse flax seed pieces out of the blender, and add the strained flax milk back into the blender along with the pitted dates, pure vanilla extract, and cinnamon if using.
- Blend on high for 1 minute.
- Skim layer of foam off the top of the flax milk.
- Store in the refrigerator, and stir or shake before serving.