Are you craving a little home comfort? Satisfy your soul with this delicious and wholesome banana bread. It is moist, sweet and smells like heaven. We have made many healthy loaves of bread, and this combination of ingredients is simply amazing. The balance of flavors and texture is perfect, and the inclusion of turmeric gives it potent anti-inflammatory and cancer- fighting properties. An ideal reward after a hard training session!Reprinted with permission from Plant Powered Athlete by Zuzana Fajkusova and Nikki Lefler, Page Street Publishing Co. 2020. Photo credit: Nikki Lefler
Golden Banana Bread [Vegan]
- Coconut oil, for pan
- 2 cups (190 g) almond meal (ground almonds)
- 1 cup (80 g) certified gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/4 cup (42 g) ground flaxseeds
- 2 tablespoons (10 g) whole psyllium husk
- 2 teaspoons (5 g) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
For the Wet Ingredients:
- 4 very ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Date Syrup (page 56)
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) raw agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean powder
Suggested Add-Ins (optional)
- 1/2 cup (75 g) raisins
- 1/2 cup (50 g) chopped walnuts
- 1 cup (150 g) diced banana
- 1 very ripe banana, sliced
- 1/4 cup (44 g) chopped dark vegan chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Coat the bottom and sides of an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2–inch (21.5 x 11.5–cm) loaf pan with coconut oil.
- Prepare the dry ingredients: In a high-speed blender or food processor, combine all the dry ingredients. Pulse together until well mixed, keeping some of the oats whole. Set aside.
- Prepare the wet ingredients: Place the 4 bananas into a large bowl and, using a fork, mash until smooth. Add the date syrup, agave and vanilla bean powder and mix well. Next, add the dry mixture and mix until well combined. It should form a doughlike texture due to the ground flaxseeds and psyllium husk
- Mix in your choice of add-ins.
- Scoop the dough mixture into the prepared pan and press firmly down to remove any air pockets. If you wish, slice a ripe banana into 4 pieces lengthwise and place side by side on top of the loaf.
- Bake for 50 minutes. Check to be sure it is thoroughly done by poking it with a toothpick in the center. The toothpick should come out clean.
- When done, remove from the oven and allow it to cool in the pan. Garnish with banana slices or chocolate, if using.