This cake is comforting with a touch of class. It is spicy, yet nourishing and the combination of ginger and pear is stellar. There's no better way to impress your guests this than presenting them with an elegant pear upside down cake!
Ginger-Spiced Pear Upside Down Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 small pears, peeled, cored and sliced in 1/4-inch thick wedges
- 1/4 cup organic brown sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, from the jar
- 1 1/2-2 teaspoons ground ginger (more or less, depending on preference)
- 3/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 cup unbleached cake flour (or gluten-free all-purpose flour)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Heaping teaspoon ground ginger
- A pinch of ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup, plus 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line the outside of a 9-inch springform pan with tin foil. Spray the inside of the pan with cooking spray.
- Measure out the almond milk in a small bowl and add the apple cider vinegar. Set aside to curdle.
- In a small bowl, cream together the coconut oil (from the jar), brown sugar, and ginger with a handheld mixture until light and fluffy. Spread this mixture on the bottom on your pan. Place the pear slices on top in a circular formation with the bottom of the pear (pointy side) towards the middle of the pan. Set aside
- In a large bowl whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. Add the vanilla, applesauce, maple syrup, brown sugar, and coconut oil to the almond milk. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Pour the cake batter in the pan with the pears and bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 15-20 minutes. Take the sides off of the springform pan and place a plate over the cake and carefully flip it over. Remove the bottom of the springform pan and serve.