Many people are confused as to just what German chocolate is, and are surprised to find out it is merely coconut, caramel, and pecan topping (or filling for a cake). This is a super chocolate-y and creamy cheesecake piled with coconut pecan German chocolate topping.
German Chocolate Cheesecake [Vegan]
8 slices out of a 7-inch, round cake
To Make the Cheesecake:
- 2 cups of vegan cream cheese
- 1 cup vegan semi sweet chocolate
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lactic acid
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 3/4 cup dairy-free milk
To Make the Crust:
To Make the German Chocolate Topping:
- 1 packed cup of dates
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 3/4 cup toasted pecans
- First prepare the crust by grinding the cookies in a food processor until fine. Add the melted vegan butter and process to the consistency of wet sand.
- Press into the bottom of a greased and parchment lined 7-inch, round cake pan and freeze while you prepare the filling.
- For the cheesecake, combine the vegan chocolate and milk in a sauce pot over low heat and melt while stirring constantly, whisk until smooth.
- Add the cocoa powder and whisk until smooth.
- Combine all the cheesecake ingredients together in a food processor along with the chocolate mixture (no need to cool) and process until smooth.
- Pour into the prepared crust and bake in a water bath in a preheated 335°F oven for 1 hour.
- Turn the oven off and let the cheesecake cool in the oven.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- The next day take the cheesecake out of the mold and prepare the German chocolate topping by combining the dates, hot water, almond milk and salt in a high speed blender or food processor.
- Blend until smooth - then fold in the coconut and toasted pecans.
- Top the cheesecake with the topping and serve.
Cheesecake must be kept refrigerated. Store in an airtight container for up to 10 days.