This General Tso's dish is a lighter take on a take-out classic. Instead of being deep-fried, the tofu is sautéed in a spicy, sweet, and garlicky sauce until sticky and crispy. If you're looking to cut down on oil, then this recipe is a must-try! Serve it with broccoli and rice or any variation of grains you want.
General Tso’s Tofu [Vegan]
- 1 14-ounce block firm tofu
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, chopped
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha or red pepper paste
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- Cut tofu into cubes and coat well with cornstarch.
- In a saucepan, heat the oil. Add tofu and cook until they are golden brown and crispy. Add oil if necessary.
- Stir in garlic, ginger, maple syrup, soy sauce, ketchup, Sriracha, scallions, and vegetable broth.
- Let it cook until it thickens. If it gets too thick, add some water. Serve warm.