Corn for dessert may seem random or out of place but, once you try this sweet frozen corn tart you will surely change your mind! Roasting the corn brings out its natural sweetness. Blending those sweet kernels with rich, healthy coconut cream yields an ice cream like dessert on a chocolate cornmeal crust. The buttery-ness of the corn and the coconut balances the harsher chocolate flavors in the crust quite nicely.
Frozen Corn Tart With Chocolate Crust [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Chocolate Coconut Crust:
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted (plus more for greasing pie pan)
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups organic yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
To Make the Corn Filling:
- 4 ears of organic/local corn
- 2 cans organic coconut milk, full fat, chilled and separated
- 4 tablespoons organic agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Organic caramel sauce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt coconut oil, and agave together. Remove from heat, and add vanilla. Set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse together the coconut, cornmeal, cocoa, and salt until finely ground.
- Add liquid mixture to cornmeal-coconut mixture in the food processor. Pulse until coarse crumbs form (dough should clump together when squeezed).
- Transfer dough to a greased 9-inch pie pan. Using a measuring cup or your fingers, evenly press dough in bottom and sides of pan.
- Bake in center of oven until golden and firm, about 12-15 minutes - transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, at least 1 hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 400° F and grease a cast iron skillet with coconut oil.
- Place the ears of corn into the skillet, and roast for 15-20 minutes, or until soft and starting to brown. Remove from oven and cool.
- Once the corn has cooled, use a knife to cut the kernels off the cobs. Reserve a few kernels for a garnish. In a food processor or blender, puree the remaining corn.
- Separate the thick coconut cream from the coconut milk. Reserve the coconut milk for other uses (smoothies, cereal, dog treat, etc). Add the coconut cream, agave, vanilla and salt to the corn puree, and blend until fluffy/creamy.
- Pour the liquid into the pie crust. Top with reserved corn kernels, and freeze overnight.
- Remove from freezer to thaw slightly before serving. Drizzle with your favorite organic caramel sauce if you wish.