One of the many good things about this very easy vegan fried rice dish is that you have yourself a complete meal. With edamame, brown rice, and assorted vegetables, it may not be totally authentic, but it’s hearty.
Fried Rice [Vegan]
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup scallions, chopped (plus more for garnish)
- 12 ounces shelled edamame (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped (about half of one pepper)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 10-ounces sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or amino acids
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (more to taste)
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil. Add carrot, ½ cup scallions and edamame and cook about 3 minutes.
- Add red bell pepper, garlic, ginger and crushed red pepper flakes and cook another 2-3 minutes. Add shiitake mushrooms, sesame oil and soy sauce and cook another 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently until mushrooms are cooked.
- Stir in cooked rice and lime juice and mix well until all ingredients are heated through. Serve with additional chopped scallions and extra soy sauce, if you like.