The vegan version of French Onion soup is just as good! This is not a quick soup to make – you need some time, as time is the key to making this delicious. A good one to have simmering away while you are working on other things. Keeps well in the freezer. The bonus is that onions are so good for you (anti-inflammatory, increase bone density, improve immune system, regulate blood sugar, skin and hair health etc)
French Onion Soup [Vegan]
- 8-10 brown onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon olive spread (or vegan butter)
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- crouton (slice of baguette – toasted in a pan with olive oil)
- fresh herbs to garnish
- Peel and slice your onions. Place into a pot with the garlic, olive oil and vegan butter / spread. Cook on very low heat, stirring now and then for about 30 minutes until they start to caramelise.
- They will reduce down to 1/3 their original volume. Once this happens add the flour and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add the stock and stir to combine. Simmer very gently for another 30 minutes or more. Serve with the crouton and fresh herbs. Add salt and pepper to taste.