Coconut toffee is a popular Indian sweet. You need only four basic ingredients to make this yummy dessert - coconut, semolina, sugar, and vegan ghee. You can either flavor it with cardamom powder, rose extract or vanilla extract.
7-Ingredient Coconut Toffee [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup fine semolina
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon vegan ghee and more for greasing the tray
- 3-4 drops of red food color (optional, you can also substitute this for beet juice for a more natural food color)
- Roast semolina on medium-low heat until crisp and fragrant. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add sugar and water in a heavy-bottomed pot, cook until the mixture is sticky, will take about 3-4 minutes over medium-high heat. There is no need for any string consistency. Also, grease a tray or plate with little ghee and set aside.
- Add few drops of food color.
- Add the desiccated coconut, cook on medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add vanilla extract and semolina. Continue to cook on medium-high heat for another 3-4 minutes. It should reach a soft ball stage. To check, drop a small amount of mixture in a bowl of cold water, it should form a ball and not disintegrate.
- As most of the moisture dries off (There should be little liquid, and not completely dry), add ghee, cook till it leaves the sides of the pot, another few seconds.
- Remove and transfer to a greased plate.
- Let it cool down for 2-3 minutes. When the mixture is still slightly warm, run a knife and cut into desired sized pieces. Once it has set completely, the toffee will harden, run the knife again, separate the pieces and transfer it to an airtight container.
Let it cool down for 2-3 minutes. When the mixture is still slightly warm, run a knife and cut into desired sized pieces. Leave it to cool and set completely, remove the pieces and store in an airtight container. It stays good for 2-3 weeks at room temperature.