Compared to the Italian, Mediterranean, and other versions, Filipino macaroni salad is the sweeter and heartier counterpart. There’s something irresistible in the creamy elbow macaroni, sweet and tender pineapple, and savory touch of garlic powder, salt, and pepper. This veganized dish is not that different from the omnivore version. Both have the same ingredients except for vegan mayonnaise and jackfruit!
Filipino Macaroni Salad [Vegan]
- 4-6 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 8-ounce package elbow macaroni salad, uncooked
- 1 small carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 1/2 cups green unripe jackfruit, shredded
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth (or 1-2 tablespoons vegetable broth powder/bouillon dissolved in 1/2 cup water)
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup pineapple pieces
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- Dash of garlic powder
- 1/4 cup vegan cheddar cheese, cut into cubes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Boil a pot of salted water then add the elbow macaroni. Cook until soft but firm to bite.
- Before turning off the heat, add carrots and boil for another minute. Turn off heat, drain, and transfer to a mixing bowl. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, using the same pot, combine unripe jackfruit and vegetable broth. Put to a boil then turn off heat. Let it cool. After cooling down, the jackfruit should have fully absorbed the liquid. If not, drain the liquid.
- Once macaroni and carrots have cooled down, add rest of the ingredients. Mix well and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
For a sweet tang, you could add about a teaspoon of sweet pickle relish.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile