This soft and fluffy Fig and Walnut Bread is the perfect recipe to bring to a holiday gathering or keep on hand for an everyday bread. Studded with chunks of walnuts and mission figs with warming cardamom notes.
Fig and Walnut No-Knead Bread [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup melted vegan butter
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flaxseed meal + 2 tablespoons water)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped, dried mission figs
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F degrees. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Prepare flax egg, by combining flaxseed meal and water in a small bowl. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder and soda, salt, spices, and coconut sugar.
- In a separate bowl, combine the milk and apple cider vinegar. Let sit for 3 minutes.Stir in the butter, applesauce and flax egg. Combine the wet mixture into the dry. Fold in the figs and walnuts.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 50 minutes until golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing.