This soft and fluffy Fig and Walnut Bread is the perfect recipe to bring to a holiday gathering or keep on hand for an everyday bread. Studded with chunks of walnuts and mission figs with warming cardamom notes.
Fig and Walnut No-Knead Bread [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Fig and Walnut No-Knead Bread [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup melted vegan butter
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flaxseed meal + 2 tablespoons water)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped, dried mission figs
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
How to Prepare Fig and Walnut No-Knead Bread [Vegan]
- Preheat the oven to 350°F degrees. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Prepare flax egg, by combining flaxseed meal and water in a small bowl. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder and soda, salt, spices, and coconut sugar.
- In a separate bowl, combine the milk and apple cider vinegar. Let sit for 3 minutes.Stir in the butter, applesauce and flax egg. Combine the wet mixture into the dry. Fold in the figs and walnuts.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 50 minutes until golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.