This tart takes center plate with its combination of chickpeas, spinach, crunchy walnuts, and savory seasonings.
Festive Chickpea Tart [Vegan]
- 1 tbsp olive oil or water (to saute)
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 4-5 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups chickpeas, reserve 1/3 cup
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp tamari
- 1/2 tsp ground sage
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 - 10 oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed to remove excess water (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped (or 1 tsp dried thyme added to puree)
- 1 prepared whole-wheat pastry pie crust, thawed (see note)
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil (optional, can omit)
- 1 tsp tamari
- 2 tbsp walnuts, chopped
- Add oil or water, onion, celery, garlic, salt and pepper in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook 9-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened and turning golden.
- In a food processor, add chickpeas (except reserved 1/3 cup), lemon juice, tamari, sage, salt, and sautéed mixture, and partially puree (not fully like hummus). Add toasted walnuts and oats, and briefly pulse to lightly break up nuts.
- Transfer to a bowl, and stir in spinach, cranberries, parsley, thyme, and reserved chickpeas.
- Transfer mixture to pie shell (or lightly oiled pie plate, see note), smoothing to evenly distribute.
- Combine oil and tamari, and brush over top. Sprinkle on walnuts.
- Bake in preheated oven at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes, until tart is golden on edges and top.
- Cool 5-10 minutes, then serve with cranberry sauce or gravy of choice.
This tart can be made without the pastry crust, if needed. Do not over bake as tart will tend to dry out without a crust.