Not only are fermented food a great way to the keep your gut bacteria healthy and happy, they can also add a surprising depth of flavor and tang to almost any dish. These carrots are simple to make, loaded with turmeric and they stay crunchy trough the fermentation process so they are extra delicious however you consume them.
Fermented Carrots With Turmeric and Mustard [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1.66 pounds carrots, chopped into thin slices
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons lightly crushed mustard seeds
- 3 teaspoons fresh turmeric (grated) or 2 teaspoons of dried turmeric powder
- 3 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Sterilize your jars with boiling water. Add all the ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
- Massage everything for 5-10 minutes (be warned that the turmeric may stain your fingers). The carrots will eventually begin to release some water. Add everything to your jars, including the water from the carrots.
- Squeeze everything down into the jar as much as possible with a wooden spoon or hands, trying to get rid of any air bubbles.
- If the carrots are not completely submerged in their own juices, then cover them with a small amount of water. Place the jar lid on loosely.
- Leave the jar somewhere out of direct sunlight for around four to five days. The carrots are ready when they've reached your desired tangy-ness.
- Store them in the refrigerator once ready — the flavors will continue to change and mellow in the fridge. Like many fermented products, we really do find that the flavor gets better with time