In this recipe, yellow split peas are simmered until they reach a soft, purée-like consistency. You can obviously make this fava santorinis recipe with simple Mediterranean yellow split peas, but you will not find the taste and finesse of fava santorinis if you use substitutes. Fava santorinis can be served plain or covered with fried onions, raw onions, capers, black olives, cherry tomatoes, or parsley.
Fava Santorinis: Greek Simmered Split Peas [Vegan]
- 1 pound yellow split peas
- 4 spring onions, grated
- Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 lemon, squeezed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Wash split peas, drain, and dry.
- In a non-stick pan, heat 6 tablespoons of olive oil. Sauté the onions for 3 minutes over low heat and sprinkle with sugar.
- Add the split peas and mix well. Sauté over medium heat for 1 minute. Cover with 4 times the volume in boiling water. Add salt and simmer for 45 minutes, or until obtaining a purée.
- Stir the juice of the lemon a few minutes before the end of cooking. Add pepper and drizzle with olive oil before serving.
- Split Pea