A colorful seasonal salad made with farro, arugula, and cantaloupe! Served with a lemon-based walnut oil vinaigrette, this salad bursts with flavors. It is a healthy meal or side dish.
Farro, Arugula and Cantaloupe Salad [Vegan]
For the Salad:
- 1 cup dry whole-grain farro, cooked (makes 3 cups cooked farro)*
- 2 cups arugula
- 1/2 cup romaine or other green lettuce, sliced or torn
- 10-12 sun-dried tomatoes — preferably the kind marinating in olive oil & herbs
- 1 cup (or more) cantaloupe melon flesh, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans
- Fresh olives of choice (e.g. black kalamata or green)
- A handful of fresh mint leaves, chopped & smaller ones added whole
- Salt & pepper
For the Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup walnut oil
- 1/4 cup vegetable olive oil
- 1 teaspoon (teaspoon) grainy mustard (e.g. Dijon)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and some cracked pepper
- Cook the farro in boiling salted water and according to package. With a meshed sieve, strain and rinse the grains under cold running tap water. Set aside to cool in the sieve.
- Meanwhile, make the vinaigrette by blending the ingredients together in a small blender or Nutribullet. Alternatively, you can whisk the ingredients by hand, although the vinaigrette will not be as tasty and creamy as the blended version.
- Prepare the remaining salad ingredients, drain the sun-dried tomatoes from the oil and toss everything in a big salad bowl. Add the cooked farro and toss again. Prior to serving, add several tablespoons of vinaigrette and toss again. Adjust salt and pepper. Serve the salad with the vinaigrette on the side.