This recipe has all of the zesty, smoky flavor fajitas offer, in burger form. That's right. Sandwiched between two charred buns sits a corn-black bean patty that is topped with a mix of colorful bell peppers, tender onions, and plenty of seasoning. Top with avocado, vegan sour cream, and vegan cheese for the authentic Latin flavor.
Fajita Burger [Vegan]
For the Fajita Vegetables:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 small bell peppers, mixed colors, sliced thin
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
For the Avocado Sour Cream:
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream
- 1 medium ripe avocado, mashed well
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Salt and black pepper
For the Patty:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup corn kernels, frozen
- 1/2 of 1 medium onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 15.5-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 3/4 cups vital wheat gluten (Stirred before measuring)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium tamari
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 burger buns, toasted
- 1/2 cup shredded vegan cheese
To Make the Fajita Vegetables:
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the vegetables and spices and stir and cook until crisp-tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
To Make the Avocado Sour Cream:
- Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl using a spoon. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt, black pepper, and lime juice.
To Make the Burgers:
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the corn, onion, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt, and black pepper, to taste and stir and cook until the corn is golden, about 5 minutes. Add the beans, stir and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and cool thoroughly.
- Add the cooled mixture to a food processor. Add the cilantro and pulse just to break up the beans, about six 1-second pulses. Transfer to a bowl and add the gluten flour, lime juice, tamari, chili powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Knead until the mixture forms gluten threads. Form the mixture into four burgers.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a baking sheet with oil and arrange the patties evenly. Bake for 30 minutes, flipping after 15 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the burger patties and cook for 2 minutes. Flip, add 2 tablespoon cheese to each burger, divide the fajita vegetables evenly on top of each burger, add 1/4 cup water to the skillet, cover the skillet and cook until the cheese melts.
- Make the burgers by spreading the bottom buns with avocado sour cream, add a burger, and add the top bun. Serve.