This vegan enchilada lasagna recipe combines two of the best comfort foods ever into one great dish – it's enchiladas in lasagna form. This dish is layer upon layer of homemade enchilada sauce, cheese, corn tortillas, and tender sweet potatoes. It's perfect for when you're trying to feed a crowd. Everyone (vegan or not) will love it!
Enchilada Lasagna [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Enchilada Lasagna [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Base:
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, diced
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 bag spinach, chopped
- Handful cilantro, chopped
- 3 cups vegan cheese, shredded
- 12-15 corn tortillas (or gluten-free tortillas if necessary)
For the Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup flour (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 cups vegetable broth
How to Prepare Enchilada Lasagna [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Enchilada Sauce:
- Heat the olive oil.
- Add all spices and toast them for about 1 minute.
- Whisk in the tomato paste.
- Finally, whisk in the flour. It will form a ball. Let cook for about 1 more minute.
- Slowly add the broth, whisking as you add it, until you get a smooth consistency.
- Bring sauce to a boil until it thickens. Set it aside.
To Make the Base:
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Toss the sweet potatoes in olive oil, salt, and pepper and place them on a baking sheet.
- Roast them for 20-25 minutes.
- In a large pan, sauté the onion and pepper in a little bit of olive oil until they're soft.
- Add the garlic, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, and cumin.
- Cook this for about 2 more minutes.
- Add in the spinach and cook it until just wilted.
- Remove this from the heat and place the mixture in a bowl
- Add the black beans, green onion, lime juice, and cilantro.
- Mix this well.
- When sweet potatoes are done, add them to this mixture as well and mix it to combine.
- Assemble the lasagna in a 9×13 pan.
- Cut each corn tortilla in half.
- Add 1 cup of sauce to the pan and move it around to cover the bottom.
- Place the flat side of the tortillas in the pan so they are flush with the sides of the pan, essentially creating a rectangle with 2 tortillas.
- Cover the bottom with tortillas.
- Add 1/2 of the sweet potato mixture, 1 cup of cheese, and 1 more cup of enchilada sauce.
- Start the layer again with corn tortillas, the rest of the sweet potato mixture, cheese, and sauce.
- Finish the dish with a layer of tortillas, cover with the rest of the sauce, and top with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake lasagna for 20 minutes, then broil the top until golden brown.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes before cutting.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 3464 | Total Carbs: 486 g | Total Fat: 127 g | Total Protein: 80 g | Total Sodium: 7457 g | Total Sugar: 51 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.