These vegan fortune cookies are the perfect way to finish up your favorite Chinese carry-out type meal. You can insert your own fortunes for your friends, family, and colleagues too. Not only are they completely vegan, they're also naturally colored with beet juice.
Egg-Free Fortune Cookies [Vegan]
- 1 teaspoon of an egg replacement (chia egg, flax egg,...)
- 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon coconut milk powder (you can omit that one but I love the taste of it)
- A few drops vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon beet juice
- 5 tablespoons water
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- In a mixing bowl add in all the ingredients given above, but add the water little by little. Whip with a hand mixer. Your batter shouldn't be too thick.
- On a silicone baking mat put a teaspoon of the batter and spread it with a spoon in a circle. Place two circles on the mat and put it in the oven.
- When the circles starten to brown on the sides, take them out. (The next steps have to happen quickly, because once the cookie get cold, you can't form it anymore)
- Scrape it off the mat, flip it, place a fortune sheet on it, pinch one side on the other and press the whole cookie over the side of a glass to bring it in a fortune cookie form. The cookie is still hot, so I covered my fingers with some band-aids and kitchen-safe plastic gloves to protect them.
- Put the cookie in a muffin tray, so it stays in the form while it hardens.
- Repeat for the rest
First I hated it making these, because the cookie was sooo hot and I was burning my fingers all the time, but once I've protected my fingers with band-aids it was so much fun and I kind of like got addicted to forming these. I'll definitely make them again!