These easy and satisfying sloppy Joes swap out the chopped beef for quinoa combined with onions, garlic, bell peppers, spices, and roasted buttercup or acorn squash. The taste is thick, rich, and it's sure to keep you full — perfect for a cold night’s hearty dinner! Pair it with a crisp side salad or a crunchy slaw.
Quinoa and Squash Sloppy Joes [Vegan]
- 1 acorn or buttercup squash
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 red or green pepper diced
- 3 cloves fresh garlic crushed (peel garlic and let it rest 10 minutes to release the beneficial allicin from the clove before you crush it)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 six oz can tomato paste
- 1 cup uncooked red quinoa
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried basil or 1 tsp fresh basil chopped fine
- Prepare quinoa: combine 1 cup quinoa and 2 cups of water in a saucepan. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes until water is absorbed. Set aside. Bake whole green acorn or buttercup squash on a baking sheet in 350 degree F oven for 1 hour. Cut open, remove seeds and skin, and place flesh in a bowl. (can be done ahead and refrigerated for 2 days)
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in small cast iron (or other) pan over med high heat. Add chopped red or green pepper, onion, and crushed garlic and sauté for about 7 minutes until onions are translucent. Stir often to avoid browning. Add chopped tomato, oregano, basil, pepper and heat well 1-2 minutes.
- Add 6 oz can tomato paste and 1/3 cup water and heat well 1-2 minutes. Turn heat off. Add cooked squash, 1 1/2 tsp sea salt and 1 tsp chili powder to quinoa and mix well
- Add tomato mixture to quinoa and mix well. Season with more sea salt or chili powder to taste.
- This recipe makes about 4 cups. if you have any left over it's amazing in wraps, over rice or beans or by itself as a side dish.
You can find this and other great plant-based recipes along with 450 pages of simple but powerful health and wellness tips in my co-authored book "100 Perks of Having Cancer plus 100 Health Tips for Surviving It" www.100perksofcancer.com