If you’re looking for a great, simple, plant-based protein-packed staple to incorporate in your meals – this is the PERFECT recipe. These tempeh meatballs are easy to make, loaded with flavor, can be easily added to a variety of recipes, and are great for the meal prep crowd. They also pair perfectly with any sauce, so you can throw together classic spaghetti and meatballs, make a sandwich, or pair them with a sticky-sweet Asian glaze.
Easy Tempeh Oat Meatballs [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 8-ounce package gluten-free tempeh
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup gluten-free rolled oats, ground into flour
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs, gluten-free if needed
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon liquid aminos
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- While oven is heating lightly sauté onion and garlic on the stove with a little bit of coconut oil- cook until lightly brown/translucent. Set aside.
- Take tempeh and slice into large chunks, place in food processor with melted coconut oil, ground rolled oats, bread crumbs, vegetable broth, liquid aminos, and the garlic/onion mixture.
- Pulse on low for about 10-15 seconds. All ingredients need to be combined, but start small and work your way up because you don't want to over mix. The mixture should still be slightly chunky.
- Scoop out mixture and work into 1-inch round balls- there should be enough to make between 12-14.
- Place on lightly greased cookie sheet and put in the oven.
- Set a timer for 6 minutes and cook until golden Rotate balls approximately 3 times, I set my timer for 6 minutes and rotate until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Add barbecue sauce, marinara, goddess dressing, ketchup, hummus, teriyaki, whatever sauce of your choice! They go well with almost any flavor.