Crispy, tomato saucy, and cheesy – this Easy Skillet Pizza with Balsamic Tomato Sauce and a Cheesy Drizzle, from Dawn at Florida Coastal Cooking & Wellness, is a delicious, kid-tested recipe the whole family will love – especially if you’re avoiding wheat and dairy. Say YES to pizza night!
Easy Skillet Pizza with Balsamic Tomato Sauce and a Cheesy Drizzle [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Gluten Free Tortillas
- Fresh basil or parsley for garnish (optional)
For the Tomato Sauce
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 pounds tomatoes, cut into large chunks
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and rough chopped
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coconut palm sugar
- Salt & pepper, to taste
For the Cheesy Sauce
- 1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast (plus extra to toss on the completed pizza like you would Parmesan)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Heat oil in large skillet or wide-bottom pot over medium-low heat; using a food processor or blender, blend the tomato sauce ingredients until pasta sauce consistency. Pour into skillet or pot to cook, stirring occasionally – about 10-15 minutes until bubbling and warm; pour into a heat-safe bowl, cover and set aside. Wipe out the skillet or wide-bottom pot and return to stove over medium-low heat.
- Blend the cheesy sauce using the (rinsed) food processor or with immersion blender; set aside.
- Spray the skillet very lightly with cooking spray; cook the tortilla until brown; flip and cook until crispy; slide onto a cutting board.
- Top evenly with warm tomato sauce; spoon some cheesy sauce over the top. Top with fresh basil or chopped parsley and additional nutritional yeast; slice into wedges; repeat with 3 more tortillas.
Additional topping ideas to try: Sautéed onions, peppers, and mushrooms, sliced kalamata olives, sautéed spinach - anything you can dream up.