Dirt pie is a dessert made from chocolate pudding, topped with crushed chocolate cookies, and decorated with gummy worms and this recipe recreates it for breakfast. A fudgy overnight oatmeal is sweetened with dates and made rich through the addition of a tender, roasted sweet potato. As the oatmeal sits overnight, the texture thickens and the natural sugars of the dates saturate the entire jar leaving you with rich, chocolatey goodness for breakfast. It's then topped with chocolate cookie crumbles and fresh strawberries in place of candy.
Dirt Pie Overnight Oatmeal [Vegan]
- 1/4 cup quick-cook steel cut oats
- 1/3-1/2 cup thoroughly mashed sweet potato
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk of choice
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 chopped dates, or 2-4 teaspoons maple syrup
- Strawberries, for topping
- 1 crushed chocolate sandwich cookie, for topping
- Combine all ingredients except the sandwich cookie in a container with a lid and mix thoroughly.
- Refrigerate overnight, or for several hours.
- When ready to serve, do a quick taste-test of your oatmeal. Add a sweetener, like maple syrup, if you find it too bitter.
- To serve, top with strawberries and then sprinkle the crushed sandwich cookie on top. Depending on the size of your container, you may need more (or less) than one.