These gluten-free fritters cook up in just under 10 minutes! Bursting with dill and silky zucchini, they make a lovely breakfast, lunch, or dinner. They're good warm, cold, or at room temperature, served with vegan sour cream or without.
Dill Zucchini Fritters [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Fritters:
- 1-2 large zucchinis (about 1 1/2 cups grated)
- 1/2 cup dry onion flakes (dry onions will work best)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- A few chopped sprigs of dill, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder or potato starch
For the Garlic Dill Sour Cream:
- Vegan sour cream (optional)
- 1 garlic clove (optional)
- A sprig of dill (optional)
- Line a colander with paper towels, enough to cover and leave enough of an overhang to produce a small bag. Grate zucchini and place it in a colander. Wrap paper towels around the zucchini and make a bag, squeeze thoroughly to ensure you get out all of the water you possibly can. Transfer dry zucchini shreds to a bowl.
- Chop dill. Mince garlic, if using fresh.
- Add all other ingredients except the last three optional ingredients to the bowl with the zucchini. Mix well to combine. Test to see if you can form patties that hold their shape with your hands; if needed, add more arrowroot powder/ potato starch. Let the mixture rest for 15 minutes.
- When ready to fry patties, add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil to a large, heavy-bottomed pan. Heat pan to medium heat. When oil is hot, shape mixture into patties with your hands and add to pan. Let fry on medium heat for about 3-5 minutes, depending on your oven. Turn patties over with a spatula, lower heat to medium-low, and cook for 3 additional minutes. Transfer patties to a paper-towel lined plate when done. Let stand for two minutes.
- Chop a sprig of dill and one garlic clove finely and mix with to vegan vour cream. Serve with fritters, and sprinkle with more chopped dill.