Who remembers Dairy Queen Blizzards? The beauty of this recipe is that it’s actually very healthy when compared to most store-bought ice creams (vegan or not). It uses frozen bananas as the base with organic dark chocolate, cacao, dates and peanut butter added for extra flavor and creaminess. This is a great recipe to try with kids and adults alike, because they can choose what ingredients they want to have swirled into their blizzard. Don’t like peanut butter? You can try almond butter or other nut-butters instead. Try experimenting with topping ideas to come up with a truly unique blizzard creation that you can make right in your own home!
Dark Chocolate, Peanut Butter and Banana Blizzard [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1.5 frozen bananas, sliced into coins before freezing
- 1 cup vanilla non-dairy milk
- 1 heaping tablespoon peanut butter
- 1-2 tablespoons cacao powder
- A few squares of vegan 70%-80% dark chocolate
- 2 pitted and pre-soaked dates, or more to taste
- Small handful of ice
- Chocolate, bananas, and peanut butter for mix-ins
- Place the non-dairy milk, dates, peanut butter, cacao powder and frozen bananas into a blender. Break up a few pieces of dark chocolate and slowly add them while the blender is still mixing.
- Add ice until you get a desired consistency, add extra liquid if the blender is having trouble mixing everything. Taste for sweetness and add an extra date or sweetener if needed.
- Once you get a thick, brownie batter-like consistency, fold in some chopped pieces of dark chocolate, bananas, and a swirl of peanut butter. Do not blend these but rather mix them, like you would find in a swirled mixture of ice cream.
- Pour into a glass or two and enjoy immediately as a thick smoothie, or chill in the freezer for 5 minutes or more so that the treat turns into a "blizzard" with all the add-ins swirled inside.
Other fun add-ins include vegan candy pieces, nuts, dried or fresh fruit, chocolate syrup and anything else you can dream up!