This curried red lentil dhal is excellent and especially when it's on a pile of Romaine lettuce, spinach, red cabbage, celery, parsnip, carrot, turnip, and bell pepper. The complex mixture of spices of the dhal is accented by the texture of sunchoke and squash and then finished with the crisp, freshness of raw vegetables.
Curried Red Lentil Dal With Sunchoke [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Curried Red Lentil Dal With Sunchoke [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Dal:
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Seeds from one cardamom pod or a dash of ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 cup red lentils, washed thoroughly and drained
- 1 tablespoon onion flakes
- 1/2-1 teaspoon dried garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried celery (optional)
- 4.2 ounces butternut squash or any other winter squash
- 1 ounce sweet potato
- 0.7 ounces sunchoke
- 1 small pak choi (add later)
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- Black pepper to taste
- A splash of coconut milk or other non-dairy milk
- Fresh coriander, to garnish
For the Salad:
- 3.5 ounces Romaine lettuce
- 2.8 ounces red cabbage, chopped
- 2.1 ounces turnip, grated
- .7 ounces parsnip
- 1 ounce avocado
- Some carrot and red bell pepper to garnish (optional)
How to Prepare Curried Red Lentil Dal With Sunchoke [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Crush the seeds using a spice grinder or a pestle and mortar.
- Wash the lentils thoroughly and put them into a pot together with crushed seeds, turmeric, bay leaf, and cubed vegetables.
- Pour in enough water to almost cover the ingredients and mix them well.
- Bring the pot to a boil and simmer the mixture for about 10 minutes.
- Add chopped pak choi on top and simmer it for another 5 minutes.
- Season this with Himalayan salt and black pepper and mix it well. Remove the bay leaf.
- Add a splash of coconut milk or any other plant milk and mix it again.
- Mix all of the raw vegetables for the salad up and pour the dal over the top of them.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 550 | Total Carbs: 98 g | Total Fat: 6 g | Total Protein: 36 g | Total Sodium: 1167 g | Total Sugar: 27 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.