As far as fall comfort food goes, stuffed squash is among the best of the best — especially when you bring some fusion flavors to the table. This curried chickpea and quinoa stuffed acorn squash is made with bold and vibrant Indian flavors, balanced with some fresh herbs. Saving the squash shells for serving is entirely optional, but it definitely helps capture the mood of fall.
Curried Chickpea and Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 acorn squash
- 1/2 cup quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons madras curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- A dash of cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 425°F.
- Slice your acorn squash in half, scoop out the seeds, and season with a bit of salt, pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Place your squash face down on some tin foil on your baking sheet, and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until tender (you should be able to poke through your squash with a fork).
- Meanwhile, in cook your quinoa in a pot according to package directions.
- Once your squash and quinoa are cooked, Heat up olive oil in a large skillet and add onion and garlic. Cook on medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add in your chickpeas and quinoa, and stir to combine.
- Using a large spoon, scoop out the squash from its peel, give it a rough chop, and toss it in the pan. Set aside the squash shells for plating, if desired. Your squash will begin to incorporate and almost "melt" into the dish.
- Next add crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, madras curry, cumin, garam masala, paprika, cayenne, salt, and pepper.
- Stir until combined.
- Serve your curry in the acorn shell, and top with fresh cilantro.