When your butternut squash cravings are in full force — turn to this delicious, healthy recipe. The squash is seasoned with curry and ginger and topped with crispy chickpeas, apples, and Brussels sprouts. The sweetness from the apple is just enough flavor to reign in the curry flavoring while adding a seasonal touch.
Curried Butternut Squash Seasonal Flatbreads [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 grain-free flatbreads
- 2 cups butternut squash (cubed)
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12-ounces of Brussels sprouts (quartered)
- 2 apples sliced/cubed
- 1/2 teaspoons allspice
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds (toasted)
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Take your flat breads out of the freezer (if frozen) and let them thaw while you prepare the rest.
- Spray a small baking sheet with oil and spread your butternut squash evenly over top.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven for about 15 minutes, moving it around so it doesn't stick to the bottom of the sheet.
- In the meantime, wash and cut your Brussels sprouts, add them to a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Place those in the oven for about 12 minutes, or until the leaves on the outsides start to get crispy
- While those are baking, slice your apples and drain and rinse your chickpeas, splitting the can of chickpeas in half
- In a small bowl, combine half of the can of chickpeas and drizzle with olive oil and add the allspice. Stir and then place the chickpeas on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place in the oven and roast until crispy (about 12 minutes).
- Place the other half of the chickpeas in a blender with the curry powder, ginger, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Take the butternut squash out of the oven and add to the blender. Let it cool for a few minutes before blending, then blend until smooth (adding more olive oil if needed).
- Place your flatbreads on a baking sheet (one you've already used) and spread the butternut squash hummus over the top of both of them (use about half of the hummus on each flatbread).
- Top with sliced apples, Brussels sprouts and crispy chickpeas and place back in the oven for about 5-10 minutes
- While the flatbreads are warming, toast your pumpkin seeds in a small skillet over medium heat until you start to hear them popping (be sure to shake them around to prevent them from burning).
- Remove the flatbreads from the oven, top with toasted pumpkin seeds and cut into desired pieces