Combine the crispy tofu and Oyster mushrooms, then lay them on a bed of coconut rice and you have a tasty meal. This dish is cozy enough to curl up with on a chilly fall day fall but brightly flavored enough to feel invigorated. The recipe is comfort food that won’t weigh you down.
Crispy Peanut Tofu and Oyster Mushrooms With Coconut Rice [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Tofu:
- 16 ounces extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari to make it gluten-free
- 1 teaspoon vegan fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek
- 2 teaspoons liquid sweetener
- 2 teaspoons natural peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
For the Vegetables:
- 1 baby bok choy, chopped
- 4 ounces Oyster mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 6 ounces yellow pepper, julienned
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari to make it gluten-free
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts, chopped
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Sesame seeds
- Microgreens (optional)
To Make the Tofu:
- Drain and remove the tofu from its packaging, and press it. This will be 30 minutes of idle time.
- In the meantime, prep the marinade: place the marinade ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Once the tofu is good to go, cut into cubes and toss into a freezer bag with marinade.
- Let marinade for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Remove the tofu cubes from their original freezer bag (reserve what marinade is left) and place it into a new freezer bag or a large container with a lid.
- Spoon the cornstarch over the cubes and shake/toss until all the cubes are evenly coated. Add more corn starch if necessary.
- Heat coconut oil in a skillet over a moderate heat.
- Place the tofu cubes into the skillet and fry until they are golden brown and crispy on each side.
- Transfer the tofu to a bowl and drizzle the remainder of the marinade over the tofu.
For the Vegetables:
- Cook the rice as per the package's instructions, in coconut milk. Once it's ready, stir in the frozen peas, cover and set aside.
- Using the same skillet you used for the tofu, heat some sesame oil and soy sauce over a moderate-low heat.
- Add the oyster mushrooms, bok choy and bell peppers.
- Cook until they are tender and then remove them from the heat.
- Spoon coconut rice into bowls or onto plates.
- Top with veggies, crispy tofu, sesame seeds, scallions, chopped peanuts and (optional) microgreens.