Combine the crispy tofu and Oyster mushrooms, then lay them on a bed of coconut rice and you have a tasty meal. This dish is cozy enough to curl up with on a chilly fall day fall but brightly flavored enough to feel invigorated. The recipe is comfort food that won’t weigh you down.
Crispy Peanut Tofu and Oyster Mushrooms With Coconut Rice [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Crispy Peanut Tofu and Oyster Mushrooms With Coconut Rice [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Tofu:
- 16 ounces extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari to make it gluten-free
- 1 teaspoon vegan fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek
- 2 teaspoons liquid sweetener
- 2 teaspoons natural peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
For the Vegetables:
- 1 baby bok choy, chopped
- 4 ounces Oyster mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 6 ounces yellow pepper, julienned
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari to make it gluten-free
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts, chopped
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Sesame seeds
- Microgreens (optional)
How to Prepare Crispy Peanut Tofu and Oyster Mushrooms With Coconut Rice [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Tofu:
- Drain and remove the tofu from its packaging, and press it. This will be 30 minutes of idle time.
- In the meantime, prep the marinade: place the marinade ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Once the tofu is good to go, cut into cubes and toss into a freezer bag with marinade.
- Let marinade for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Remove the tofu cubes from their original freezer bag (reserve what marinade is left) and place it into a new freezer bag or a large container with a lid.
- Spoon the cornstarch over the cubes and shake/toss until all the cubes are evenly coated. Add more corn starch if necessary.
- Heat coconut oil in a skillet over a moderate heat.
- Place the tofu cubes into the skillet and fry until they are golden brown and crispy on each side.
- Transfer the tofu to a bowl and drizzle the remainder of the marinade over the tofu.
For the Vegetables:
- Cook the rice as per the package's instructions, in coconut milk. Once it's ready, stir in the frozen peas, cover and set aside.
- Using the same skillet you used for the tofu, heat some sesame oil and soy sauce over a moderate-low heat.
- Add the oyster mushrooms, bok choy and bell peppers.
- Cook until they are tender and then remove them from the heat.
- Spoon coconut rice into bowls or onto plates.
- Top with veggies, crispy tofu, sesame seeds, scallions, chopped peanuts and (optional) microgreens.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.