It has sweet and cooling properties beneficial for pitta, along with numerous medicinal benefits for all three doshas. Okra lubricates joints, relieves inflammation, protects the liver and kidneys by binding with toxins in the blood, and supports digestion as a prebiotic. Its slimy, mucilaginous qualities also lubricate the colon for healthy elimination. You’ll find okra in season from July to September.
Crispy Okra [Vegan]
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 30 whole okra
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- Lime juice, for serving
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon mango (amchoor) powder
- In a small bowl, combine the spices and salt. Wash and trim off the tops of the okra. Pat dry to remove any excess moisture and prevent oil splatter in the hot pan.
- Slit each okra lengthwise to create a pocket where the spices will be stuffed into. With a spoon, stuff each okra with about ¼ teaspoon of the spice blend. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet with oil on medium-high heat. Arrange the okra on the pan and fry for 2–3 minutes on each side. Turn the okra a few times to cook on all sides, cooking until tender on the inside and crispy on the outside.
- Transfer to a plate and squeeze a bit of fresh lime juice over top.
- Serve hot.