When it comes to comfort food, nothing beats the combination of rich, flavorful creamy sauce and a huge serving of pasta. This dish instantly fills you up, leaving both your mind and stomach feeling happy and satisfied. Pairing this creamy sauce with mushrooms adds a savory, earthy, and slightly nutty flavor that merges well with the mild, delicate flavors of cream to create a perfectly balanced pasta dinner.
Creamy Mushroom Penne [Vegan]
- 2 cups penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 mushrooms, finely sliced
- 1 1/2 cups, plus 3 tablespoons almond cream, soy cream, or culinary coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dried mixed herbs
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable stock powder
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- A pinch of chili powder, to taste
- A pinch of paprika, to taste
- 1/2 cup peas
- Add the vegan butter into a pan and place over medium heat. Then, add in the onion and garlic, and fry for 2 minutes. When this is done, add in the mushrooms and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Next, add in the almond cream, lemon juice, dried mixed herbs, vegetable stock powder, nutritional yeast flakes, salt, pepper, chili, and paprika. Stir everything together and reduce the heat to a low-medium temperature. Continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- When 5 minutes have passed, fill a medium pan with water and bring it to a boil. Then, add in the pasta and cook it for about 8 minutes. During this time, stir the sauce and keep checking the flavor and consistency, to taste.
- When there is about 1 minute left for the pasta to cook, add the peas into the pasta sauce, and stir. Then, when the pasta is ready, remove it from the heat, drain it, and add it into the sauce. Lastly, stir everything together for about a minute or so, then remove it from the heat and serve.