These little no-meatballs are almost a variation on a falafel but with lentils. They are moist, hearty, flavorful and the sauce makes it creamy and decadent. Dump all of that onto some creamy mashed potatoes and you’ve got yourself the perfect thanksgiving dinner.
Creamy Diane Sauce and Swedish “Meatballs” [Vegan]
Vegan Meatball Ingredients:
- 1 cup cooked lentils from 1/2 cup dried
- 1 tablespoon olive oil + more for brushing
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 cup mushrooms roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup GF panko bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 teaspoon onion salt
- Salt and peppers to taste
For the Diane Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 398 ml can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch + 2 tablespoons water
- Mashed potatoes or pasta
- Parsley chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat oil in a pan over a medium-high heat and sauté garlic and onion for 2 minutes or until translucent. Then add mushrooms and lentils and sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer the mushroom mix into a food processor and add panko, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, and onion salt. Process until the mix is well combined but still a little chunky.
- Take a cookie tray lined with parchment paper, and start rolling your meatballs into 2-inch-thick balls. Brush with olive oil then put them in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Sauté your onions with olive oil in a pan for 2-3 minutes. Add in your mushrooms and continue sautéing for another 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- Add in all of your ingredients for the gravy into a sauce pan except for the cornstarch and your sautéed mushrooms and bring to a slow simmer. In a small bowl, make a slurry with your cornstarch and water and whisk until well combined. Slowly incorporate the slurry into the gravy while whisking constantly. Add in your sautéed mushroom mix.
- Serve over pasta or mashed potatoes and garnish with parsley.