This cauliflower mashed potato recipe takes a traditional favorite to the next level. This dish is creamy, silky, and flavorful – and super easy to make! No one will ever know you snuck cauliflower into the potatoes. There is no cream. There is no butter. But no one will believe you when you tell them that.
Creamy Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes [Vegan]
- 6 cups yukon gold potatoes, cubed
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 1/4 cup coconut cream (from canned whole coconut milk)
- 1/4 cup liquid from coconut milk can
- 1/2 Tablespoon of salt, or more to taste
- 1/2 Tablespoon black pepper, or more to taste
- 1 small garlic bulb (optional)
- 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil (optional)
If using garlic:
- If using garlic, preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Peel off the loose, flaky skin from the bulb. Chop off about 1/4″ from the top of the garlic bulb – this will expose the cloves.
- Place the bulb on a piece of foil large enough to wrap it. Drizzle olive oil over top, letting it seep into the cloves. Wrap the bulb tightly with foil and place in the oven.
- Bake 40-60 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. Use a spoon to scrape out the soft roasted garlic.
Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
- In a large pot, bring 8 cups of water to a boil. You may need more or less water depending on the size of your pot. Make sure you have enough water to cover the potatoes and cauliflower and allow them to move around while boiling.
- Carefully add potatoes and cauliflower to boiling water. Boil 30-40 minutes, until potatoes and cauliflower are fork tender.
- Drain water. Return potatoes and cauliflower to pot or to a large bowl.
- Gently open the unshaken coconut milk can, being careful to keep the cream in tact and solid at the top.
- Scrape out 1/4 cup of the cream and add to the potatoes and cauliflower. Add 1/4 cup of remaining clear liquid from the coconut milk can.
- Add salt and pepper, and roasted garlic if using.
- Using a hand mixer or immersion blender, mix the ingredients until completely smooth.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!