Completely plant based and with minimal sodium, you wouldn’t think this mushroom soup would taste as truly decadent and creamy as it does. The secret? Cannellini beans and cauliflower! This easy soup will have even the most plant-based skeptic asking for seconds, and you know what? You can have seconds of this soup and not have to worry about your waistline.
Cream of Mushroom Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 8-ounces cremini or button mushrooms, with a handful reserved for garnish
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 -ounce dried porcini
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1/2 head of cauliflower florets
- In a medium sauce pan combine all ingredients (except mushrooms for garnish, we will get to those in a sec) cover with water, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, let simmer while you prepare your other ingredients.
- Place cauliflower florets in a small sauce pan, cover with water, steam 10 minutes, set aside.
- For the rest of your mushrooms, place a tsp. of camelina oil in a sauté pan over medium high heat, sauté until golden, set aside.
- Note: never salt mushrooms before you sauté them, it will release all their water and they will never brown, but rather wilt.
- Take your mushroom soup and blend to desired consistency, I like very smooth, the beans add an amazing velvety texture. I used an immersion blender for convenience, keep soup warm.
- Do the same blend on the cauliflower adding more water if too thick, you want a creamy, gravy like texture, add a drop or two of truffle oil, if you really want to up the decadence, a drop or two is all it takes and provides amazing aroma. Leave this out if you want, but it really elevates the dish.
- Pour mushroom soup into four bowls, spoon your cauliflower puree on top, garnish with sautéed mushroom and a little parsley, you can adjust your own level of salt, I am trying to cut out any extra. Bellisimo! If you feel the presentation is too fussy, just add the cauliflower to your mushroom soup at the start and blend all together.