This creamy coconut turmeric dal is nutty, savory, creamy, and warming with every bite. Not to mention, it's packed with protein from lentils and vitamins from the addition of spinach! Pair with rice or any other grain, such as quinoa.
Coconut Turmeric Dal [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 1 cup green lentils, dry
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-inch piece of ginger, minced
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard seeds
- 1 1/2-2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- Cilantro leaves, to garnish
- Prepare your green lentils by boiling 2 cups of water with 1 cup of dry green lentils. Turn down to a simmer and cover for 30-35 minutes, or until almost tender. Strain and set aside.
- While your lentils are cooking, drizzle 2 tbsp of coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté 1 diced medium yellow onion in the coconut oil for 3-4 minutes. Add in minced garlic and ginger and continue to cook for another minute.
- Pour diced tomatoes into the pan with the onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook for 1-2 minutes, then add in 1 tbsp of brown mustard seeds. Stir and let the seeds cook for another minute.
- Once the seeds are fragrant, pour in 1 1/2 cups of vegetable broth. Stir in tomato paste and spices: turmeric, garam masala, cumin, and chili powder. Add in cooked lentils. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour in 1 cup of coconut milk and stir. Let simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve daal with brown basmati rice and a few sprinkles of cilantro leaves.