Classic vegan tomato sauce recipe made with caramelized onion, carrots, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes and San Marzano tomatoes. Garnish with fresh parsley for a burst of flavor. A comforting recipe so easy that anyone can master!
Classic Tomato Sauce [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- salt, to taste
- fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 28-ounce San Marzano canned tomatoes, hand crushed
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- fresh parsley, chopped
- In a medium pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, and carrots and cook until caramelized for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt, fresh pepper and oregano and stir. Pour over the San Marzano tomatoes and sun-dried tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and let simmer for 1 hour to release the maximum flavor from the ingredients, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over pasta (feel free to use gluten free pasta in place of the durum wheat or whole wheat spaghetti).
- Garnish with fresh parsley.