If you’re craving a light and beautiful dessert that doesn’t disappoint, then you have to give these apple roses a try. In this recipe, juicy red apples are sliced thin, coated in cinnamon, and then rolled up with a sheet of puff pastry to create an adorable rose shape. It's then baked until the puff pastry is flaky and the edges of the apple slices are just a little brown. Serve these apple roses with a spoonful of the accompanying apple butter for a treat that's truly amazing.
Cinnamon Apple Roses With an Apple Butter Filling [Vegan]
For the Apple Hearts:
- Vegan puff pastry (you can use whole wheat)
- 2 red organic apples, such as Red Delicious
- Half of 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon of flour, to sprinkle the counter
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Powder sugar, for decorating
For the Apple Butter:
- 5 apples washed and sliced
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
To Make the Apple Hearts:
- Prepare a bowl with some water and lemon juice. Cut the apples in half, leaving the peel, remove the core, and cut the apples into thin slices using a mandolin. Place the sliced apples immediately in the bowl with lemon and water to prevent browning.
- Layout the puff pastry dough and slice strips with a sharp knife. You can make them as wide as you like. Fold the strips in half and layer on the apple butter and cinnamon. Layer the apples on top of each other, leaving the peels of the apples hanging over the edge, and overlap them.
- Leave the eyes with a bit of empty space so that you can fold them up easier, making them appear as roses. Continue with the rest of the roses and place into muffin or silicon tins. Bake for 30-45 minutes on 250°F, until the petals become slightly crispy and top with powdered sugar.
To Make the Apple Butter:
- Place all the ingredients in a slow cooker and cover with the lid. Cook on low for 10 hours or more. Periodically stir to prevent burning and to ensure an even cook (color should be a dark brown).
- Allow apples to cool, then place in a food processor, or use an immersion blender to achieve a smooth texture. Drizzle over the apple roses before serving.
- Store in a jar, refrigerate, keep up to two weeks.