These apple hand pies are pretty easy and simple to make. Plus, they taste awesome. Eating them is a sensual experience in itself because they are buttery, flaky, crisp on the outside, and luscious and sweet inside. Once the hand pies are baked, brush them with a little butter and a generous sprinkle of powdered sugar, then chopped almonds and a spoonful of leftover pie filling. Trust us, you won’t regret adding pie filling on top — it just tastes so divine. Feel free to serve it along with a scoop of ice cream. No matter how you eat them, they are just YUM.
Cinnamon Apple Hand Pies [Vegan]
For the Apple Pie Filling:
- 3 apples, apples, peeled and diced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
For the Hand Pies:
- Apple pie filling
- 4 sheets vegan puff pastry, thawed if frozen and lightly kneaded
- Vegan butter for brushing the pastry
- Sliced almonds
- Apple pie filling or vegan vanilla ice cream (Optional)
To Make the Apple Pie Filling:
- In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice and set aside.
- Boil water in a pan.
- Combine sugars, cornstarch, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl.
- Add apples and boil for a minute.
- Add cornstarch mixture and to water, stir well, and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until apples are tender; it should take about 6-8 minutes.
- Let it cool for 30 minutes.
To Make the Hand Pies:
- Preheat oven to 355°F.
- Roll the dough until it is about 1/8-inch thick on a floured work surface.
- Use a 5-inch round cookie cutter to cut the dough into circles.
- Roll the dough again if needed. You need about 8-10 circles.
- Add 1 heaping tablespoon of apple pie filling (without liquid) to the center of each dough circle.
- Fold the dough in half and use a fork to seal the edges.
- Place hand pies on a lined baking tray.
- Use the tip of a sharp knife to cut few diagonal slits into the tops of each pie.
- Use a pastry brush to lightly brush the tops of the hand pies with the melted vegan butter.
- Bake the pastry pies for 25-30 minutes, or until the tops are lightly golden brown.
- Brush with more butter and sprinkle with sugar and almonds to serve.
You can also use regular pie dough to make these hand pies.