This apple chunk cake is perfect for those comfy nights when you just want to curl up into a chair and read a book. It's fragrant and spicy from cinnamon, sweet from coconut sugar, and studded with crunchy walnuts and chunks of apples. Yum! Warm a slice up and enjoy with a glass of almond milk or a cup of hot tea.
Cinnamon Apple Chunk Cake [Vegan]
For the Cake:
- 2 tablespoons flax seed, ground
- 4 tablespoons water
- 3 Gala apples, peeled and diced into 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
For the Topping:
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- Line a 9x5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flax and water. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss apples with cinnamon, ginger, and sugar to coat. Add flour, baking soda, and salt. Toss to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flax mixture, oil, almond milk, and orange juice. Add to apple mixture and toss to combine.
- If you want to add in walnuts, you can do so here and give it one final mix.
- Pour into loaf pan.
- For the topping, combine cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle on top of mixture in loaf pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.