This chocolate mug cake is amazing!
Chocolate Mug Cake [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Chocolate Mug Cake [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free flour (see notes)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar of choice
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons (30 g/1.1 oz) mashed banana
- 3 tablespoons dairy-free milk of choice
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1–2 teaspoons peanut butter (optional)
- Dairy-free chocolate chips (optional)
How to Prepare Chocolate Mug Cake [Vegan]
- Add all the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, coconut sugar, salt, and baking powder) to a mug and stir.
- Mash a banana with a fork in a bowl or plate. You need 2 tablespoons of mashed banana for this recipe.
- Then add all the wet ingredients (mashed banana, dairy-free milk, vanilla extract) to the mug and stir to combine. You can optionally add 1–2 teaspoons of peanut butter (or nut/seed butter of choice) into the middle and push it down slightly with a spoon for a “hidden center.”
- Microwave for 60–70 seconds for a fudgy texture, or 80–90 seconds for a lighter, cakier texture.
- The time varies based on your microwave, the size/shape of the mug, and the flour you use. I recommend microwaving it for 60 seconds, testing it with a spoon, and continuing in 10-second increments until it reaches your desired consistency. Enjoy!
Flour: I use a gluten-free flour blend of 50% white rice flour, 30% chickpea flour, and 20% tapioca flour. An all-purpose GF flour blend (e.g., Bob’s Red Mill) should work too. If you aren’t gluten-free, you can use regular all-purpose flour. Oven method: I recommend using an oven-safe ramekin and baking it at 350°F (177°C). First, check it with a toothpick inserted into the center at 12 minutes, then every couple of minutes after until it reaches your desired consistency.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.